Monday, March 18, 2013

Our Honeymoon Part II

I realized that I never finished writing about our honeymoon and, as it is almost a year ago, I wanted to get it written down before the memories escape me!! Last time, I wrote about Sunday- Tuesday and I ended with us going to the resort's Japanese restaurant after going to the ostrich farm.

Forcing pictures first thing Wednesday morning.

On Wednesday, we went back to the downtown area of Curacao (Willemstaad). We had plans to see the Cathedral, but there was a funeral going on, which we found out after a hot, sweaty trek to the church! So we didn't get to see the inside. We walked back towards Willemstaad and by the time we got there, I was miserable. I had on linen pants and they were completely sticking to me because I was so sweaty. They were a bit tight to begin with (thanks to Old Navy's lack of quality control) and just so uncomfortable. So Steven found us a little shop where I bought a Curacao tshirt and capri workout type pants. Oddly enough, they turned out to be men's pants. Apparently in Curacao, men wear capris! I went into the bathroom near the water to change, and Steven walked a ways down to watch the pontoon bridge open up for a ship to come through. When I came out of the bathroom, the bathroom attendant lady began scolding me, but I couldn't understand her. I finally gathered that she wanted me to give her a dollar for using the bathroom. I had no money on me and Steven couldn't hear me calling for him. It was a panicky few minutes. He finally came back over and paid the lady so she quit holding me hostage at the bathroom. 

Isn't it crazy that a tractor trailer can only pull 1-2 of those? This giant ship is so much more efficient!

We walked around for a while and saw $20 segway rentals. Unlike America, we didn't give a credit card, sign a waiver, or anything! We didn't even have to give our names. We just gave the lady $40 cash with a promise to bring them back in an hour. It was a wonderful way to see the other side of downtown, Punda. We covered SO much ground that we wouldn't have been able to cover on foot. We saw a basilica, more of the normal, non-touristy parts of town, and scoped out places to eat. After about 30 minutes on the segway, I managed to crash into a curb while avoiding a pedestrian. It was SO embarrassing! I literally flew off the segway and it kept going right over top of me! Steven grabbed it and couldn't help me because he was holding onto both segways. I got up, brushed myself off, and got us out of there as quick as possible out of embarrassment. I tore my hand and knee up pretty bad. We found somewhere to stop and get a drink and rest for a minute. We washed my hand off as good as we could, but didn't have any bandages. I'm quite the whiner normally, but I had to just suck it up so we could enjoy the rest of our time with the segways. It was only after this trip that I learned the segway inventor DIED on his segway lol.

 Steven in front of the pontoon bridge.

 The elusive cathedral.

 Beginning our segway adventure, and a costume change.

Major costume change on my part.

When we got back to the resort that afternoon, we went snorkeling. It was way more fun than I expected! The water is clear and there were lots of really neat fish. There was a reef that they told us had even cooler stuff on the other side, but a strong current. We weren't brave enough to try it, and stayed on the calm side. Later that night, I ended up having to go to the super scary resort nurse. The kid in the room before me had vomited on the floor, and she hadn't cleaned it up. I dodged it and sat down. She pulled my hand over a trash can, doused it with rubbing alcohol (OUCH) and rubbed at the wound with gauze. No gloves were involved. She had no bedside manner, but she was free so I can't complain too much. She bandaged it and Steven nursed my wounded pride with a buffet dinner.

 All geared up for some snorkeling! 

 The resort just kept getting more awesome.

It doesn't look like much here, but this is after she violently scraped away the blood, dangly skin, dirt, and pebbles.

Thursday was our day to do nothing. We wanted at least one day with no plans and where we didn't leave the resort. We did a lot of fun stuff that day including more snorkeling, riding the big water bike, and riding the hobie cat. We still stayed on the calm, more shallow side of the coral reef but we were able to go almost the whole distance this time. My favorite fish was one that was yellow and black. It was so bright! 


We would park under one of those small umbrellas nearby this bar, and hit it up for multiple snacks throughout the day. By 'snack', I mean soda, fries, and chicken nuggets for me. Same for hubs but cheeseburger instead of nuggets. It was divine. I put on 10 lbs in one week. Glorious gluttony!

Friday morning we were supposed to have a jeep tour of the island and national park, but it was cancelled because not enough people signed up. One part of me was really bummed because we would have seen really cool areas of the island, but the other part of me was glad that we could just relax on our last full day. We went snorkeling again, ate tons of free snacks, and just lounged around, enjoying each other's company. It was wonderful! During snorkeling, we got brave and went to the back side of the reef. It was deep and there was definitely a strong current, but we saw some of the coolest things, like brain coral, that didn't exist on the shallower side. That night we went back to the Italian restaurant for a delicious farewell dinner.

The last supper!

 Airport funny #1

Airport funny #2

Saturday morning we went for one last swim before we showered and headed to the airport. We were very happy to get home and begin married life together, but also sad to leave such a wonderful week!!!

Leaving our honeymoon... sad face!

Even though I knew we'd have a blast on our honeymoon, the week was so much better than I had even imagined. We ate up having all that time together and being totally away from everyone we knew and normal life. We had a great balance of relaxation and adventure, with a good dose of romance mixed in. I had almost constant realizations throughout the week that I was MARRIED and Steven was my HUSBAND! I spend the majority of the week very giddy. Our honeymoon was a wonderful investment and a great way to start married life! 


  1. I burst out laughing on reading the placque, the Dutch threw me off at first and then I read the English.

    I have a Catholic Conference in Curacao in July, if I do end up going (it's still in the air) I'll have to check out a few of these sites in my free time.

  2. You look so cute in that scuba gear!:) Your honeymoon looks amazing!!